Saturday, September 12, 2009

Sunshine Frittata

Saturday morning fell rainy and damp- I'd slept late and was halfway through my first cup of New Harvest organic, shade grown coffee, nursing one of those sinus headaches from hell that requires ibuprofen and patience.

The phone rings and my friends have decided we need breakfast at Nick's on Broadway . They are on their way. I figure by the time I am presentable and headache -free I will be hungry and a table will be ready - Nick's is notorious for a long line and it's Saturday -I'm thinking 30 minutes at least. Well 30 minutes turns into 45 on my end( a business call, hair that requires product before leaving the house) but I note that no one has called to say we are being seated.

So I mosey on down to Nick's, texting as I go. The caffeine has connected with my brain and I can multitask- this involves the aforementioned texting while walking and avoiding all the dog poop that is all over the sidewalk these days. - Please people, please pick up after your dog! It's not that hard and its good karma. Thank you!

Another 15 minutes drift by after I meet up with my friends and the waitress comes out twice to reassure us. Good call on the managed expectations but it is still a 1 hour and 15minute wait! Once seated, the coffee and tea appear immediately. Our waitress tells us the specials, she gets to the last one- a frittata with corn, bacon, cherry tomatoes, and gruyere.

A collective moan rises from the table- 3 of us opt for the frittata.

The divine concoction arrives like a plate of happy sunshine and piping hot. It is dense and wonderful and there's lots of bacon! Yummy, crispy bacon, just the way I like it, has been diced into the frittatta, but mmmm....the corn takes it to a whole other level. The frittata has a layer of egg then the corn niblets, shaved right off the cob, then a mixed layer of egg,bacon, scallion, more corn, gruyere cheese and tomato. The corn is sweet and juicy and the kernels pop as you bite into them adding a succulent texture. The smoke of the bacon blends exquisitely with the salt and sugar of the gruyere and the tomatoes taste like the sunshine we've been missing - rich and sweet.
There are oohs and mmms and aahs around the table. It was worth the wait for such a perfect blend of flavors. We are content , replete, and very happily fed. We will be back!

No comments:

Post a Comment